1975 BMW R90S
Price: $19 750 ≈ €18147 ≈ £15552
Item location: Vista, California, US
Seller notes: Concours quality restoration
1975 BMW R90S VIN 4980283
Hello, and thanks for looking at my listing for this gorgeous 1975 BMW R90S. I purchased this bike in 2016 from someone I have known for over 25 years, he was the service manager at the local BMW auto dealership. I remember the bike since the early 80's. The bike was restored by a friend that is an expert on the R90S, Mark Francois. You can follow him and see his work on Instagram @r90sdoc:
Any serious motorcycle collector needs to put a BMW R90S into their collection. The R90S is considered the most important post-war BMW motorcycle and is credited with saving the BMW Motorcycle division by Bob Lutz, the former Executive Vice President of BMW sales in the 1970s. Here is your chance to own a beautiful example that has been restored to concours quality.
ago. The concours level restoration now has 61 miles on it and looks as fresh today as it did when it was completed.
It has a clean CA title and still sports its original 70's vintage blue and yellow CA license plate.
The aluminum turn signals: The original owner told me that the bike came with aluminum turn signals. Being an early production 1975 R90S, there is no reason to doubt him and therefore I opted to keep them on the bike.
The paint work is perfect. There are no blemishes on any of the paint work. It is as pristine as the day it was professionally painted.
Seat. The seat is the factory original to this R90S and is in very nice condition.
All new parts were sourced from BMW unless otherwise stated.
Engine and Clutch:
· Cylinders were bored/honed and new first-over German Wossner pistons/rings/wrist pins were fitted
· New rod bearings
· New timing chain and tensioner
· New crankshaft timing chain sprocket and nose bearing
· New valve springs and valve guides
· New 3 angle valve lap
· New push rod tube seals
· New clutch assembly: clutch disc, pressure plate, diaphram spring plate & pressure ring
· New engine seals and gaskets throughout
· New crankcase ventilation reed valve installed
· New air filter
· Gas tank interior is excellent
New Karcoma fuel taps
· New braided cloth fuel line
Original chrome gas cap was disassembled, re-chromed and re-assembled with new gasket, rivet and washer
· Original carburetors completely disassembled and all components sonically cleaned
Dellorto intakes have nipples added for carb synchronization
· All O-rings, accelerator pump diaphragms and gaskets replaced
· Float needle valves and housings replaced
· Accelerator pump valves in float bowls replaced
· Idle mixture screws replaced
· Floats adjusted to factory spec
No transmission work was needed. Transmission shifts up and down as smoothly as it should
· Final Drive:
· Disassembled, cleaned and re-sealed new seals and gaskets throughout
· New driveshaft-to-transmission boot
· All cables are replaced: BMW Speedo, tach, two accelerator, two choke, clutch and brake
· Front brake calipers disassembled. New seals and dust boots installed. Calipers restored
· Master cylinder disassembled, and new BMW ATE rebuild kit installed
· New German Spiegler front brake lines
Frame and Chassis:
· Frame, subframe, swing arm, center stand, battery box and hold down, headlight ears, headlight bucket, and license plate bracket were powder coated gloss black
· New BMW fairing clear windscreen attached with black nylon screws/nuts
Aluminum turn signal housings were professionally polished
· Starter relay replaced
· New aftermarket AGM battery
· New Beru spark plug wires
· New BMW ignition points and condenser
New BMW turn signal relay
· All gauges function as they should. MotoMeter clock was converted to more reliable quartz movement. Volt meter was disassembled and calibrated. Clock and VM housings are restored, glass cleaned inside and out, bezels repainted and gauge needles repainted
· Instrument housing restored: Lettering on instrument housing is re-done, needles painted
· All aluminum pieces including engine case, timing cover, outer ignition cover, starter motor cover, air cleaner covers, front fork sliders, front and rear wheel hubs, front brake rotors, rear brake lever, lower triple tree were tumbled to produce fresh cast aluminum look
Wheels and Tires:
· Weinmann front and rear wheel rims are professional polished and laced and trued by Buchanans.
New Clover Leaf chrome spokes
· New Metzeler tires and tubes are installed
· Front and rear wheel bearings replaced
· Swing arm bearings cleaned, grease packed and installed with correct pre-load
· All bearing outer grease seals replaced
· Steering bearings replaced, grease packed and installed with correct pre-load
· Front fork suspension disassembled, cleaned. New rings installed on fork damper units, new bushings, seals and gaskets installed
Aluminum fork caps professional polished
· Rear shocks disassembled and components cleaned. OEM springs painted gloss black. OEM aluminum spring caps are professionally polished
New left and right combination switches installed
· Steering damper assembly disassembled, cleaned and re-greased
· New BMW grips installed
· BMW throttle twist grip and cam disc
· Clutch and brake perches restored
· New bushings installed in clutch and brake levers
· New BUMM mirrors are installed
· Handle bars re-chromed
Paint and Pin Striping:
· Correct Glasurite 55 paint ordered. Silver base and Daytona Orange top color
· Professionally applied, with Daytona paint application supervised by Mark. Professionally pin striped
Emblems and Stickers:
· New BMW tank and seat cowl roundels
· New BMW seat cowl BMW “R90S” badge
· New tire pressure and inspection stickers for top of rear fender under the seat (reproduction)
· New Brake Fluid warning sticker on frame (my own excellent reproduction)
· New OEM BMW 900cc stickers for battery side covers
Hardware (nuts, bolts, washers, brackets, engine mounts, kickstand, etc)
· All factory installed OEM metal hardware was retained and was professionally cleaned and re plated with zinc
· All OEM parts that came chrome were either restored to concours quality or re-chrome plated
Headlight & Tailight:
· Headlight disassembled and reflector cleaned
· Taillight lens and housing restored
· NOS BMW Zeuna headers, cross over and mufflers with the correct 031 and 032 part numbers. Mufflers are NLA.
· OEM stainless steel pipe hangers (left & right) are polished
· OEM header-to-muffler clamps are re-chromed
· All original keys included
· Supplied with a factory original, but un-restored tool kit and owner's manual.
Needless to say, everything on the bike works as it should. Charging system is strong and works properly. All gauges and lights are working. Bike runs, shifts and stops like a smooth R90S should. This is a very strong running R90S and is as smooth as day one.
Upon purchase, a $500 non-refundable deposit into Paypal within the first 24 hours is required. The remaining funds may be paid through cashiers check or cash, but bank wire is preferred. Funds must clear before transportation. Buyer is responsible for the arrangement and cost of shipping transportation. I am happy to assist with the loading of the R90S, and am willing to transport the bike in an enclosed van to Los Angeles for overseas shipping for $250.