Laverda Alpino S genuine UK bike the thinking man's Montjuic in lovely condition
Sale price: £4250 - $5744 - €4830
Item location: London, United Kingdom
Seller's notes: almost corrosion-free with fresh paintwork, polished alloy and stainless mudguards. Slightly waggy rev counter, but no accident damage. Looks like a two year old machine.
Sale type: Fixed price listing
Hi and welcome to the sale of my lovely Laverda Alpino- S. This is a very scarce UK bike with ultra low mileage in almost perfectly stock condition. I bought it earlier this year from a Laverda forum member who had owned it for the last thirty years. It had been in storage for virtually all that time! Stored extremely well. all I have had to do is gently recommission it in order to bring it back to life. I did all the work intending to keep it. but have just bought an extremely rare two stroke motorcycle (my current obsession. it's a disease. really) and need to make some space to fit them all in. I'm also planning to advertise my Norton commando and possibly my BSA RGS replica. so will happily keep the Alpino if I sell one of those instead.
The Alpino S differs from the earliest models in that it comes with a balancer shaft and high compression pistons. like the Montjuic. It also has 32mm pumper carbs. like the Montjuic. Unlike the Montjuic. however. the Alpino S idles and doesn't piss petrol down your legs because it has an airbox! Nor does it sound like a dozen cannon balls falling down a marble staircase. It's more of a sporting gentleman's carriage. Weighing only 170kg. it is slim and light. with a low seat height. classically good looks and performance slightly better than the previous twin. the 750SF.
· The bike has only covered 4. 00 miles from new. I have the last MOT from 1984 to prove it
· At some point the frame has been repainted silver grey and is in excellent condition.
· I have rebuilt the calipers with new seal kits and Teflon coated pistons
· It has stainless brake lines
· Forks rebuilt with new seals
· I've had it professionally repainted it in a metallic Aston Martin blue. which looks superb and it now has proper laser cut decals lacquered into the paint. rather than the ghastly originals.
· The engine was flushed through with cheap oil. ran for five miles and replaced with semi-synthetic 15-40. about 200 miles ago.
· New high capacity Motobatt battery
· The carbs were stripped. ultrasonically cleaned and rebuilt.
· It starts. runs and rides perfectly. I took it to the Fleet Lions classic run last weekend. a round trip of about 150 miles and it never missed a beat.
· Everything works perfectly. with instant starting. perfect idling and lively performance
· There is no corrosion on the motorcycle. it looks about two years old. not nearly forty.
· All lights. switches and indicators are original and perfect
· There are no dreaded crimp connectors or choc boxes that I can find!!
· The OE Lafranconi silencers are in perfect condition and look new
· I even have a spare bottom half of an engine that comes with the bike
· Brand new MOT and six month's tax just fitted
· Featherweight clutch and perfect gear selection.
· Original Windy corner number plate
· Genuine workshop manual. not a photocopy
It really is difficult to fault. If I was being picky. the rev counter needle is a little waggy and the clock may benefit from a service in due course. It works fine. of course. just pointing it out.
This is a rare opportunity to own a beautiful and practical Laverda 500 in proper UK specification (the one it would need to be if you wanted to build a ‘real' Montjuic. of course. although this is far too nice to destroy by doing that). a bike that's ready to ride now and needs nothing. I'd really like to keep it. but something has to give and it might be this bike. Please look carefully at the photographs. they should answer most of your questions. It's spotless behind the panels and under the seat as well. of course. I've never owned a bike that can be rolled onto a centre stand with one finger. it's that well balanced.
Viewing is most welcome as are sensible questions. either via ebay. the Laverda forum (I'm eyeguy) . or mobile 07774 921600. I'd far rather you expressed an interest in my commando. but its here if you'd like to buy it. You can ride it home. or I have a man with a van whose rates are generally very reasonable. I've priced this to sell; with Montjuics (basically the same bike with crappy fibreglass bits replacing the superb stock fittings) fetching ten thousand pounds. Alpinos inexplicably reach only about half of that. My price is even less than that. I can't really see the point in having it hanging around if its not going to be regularly used. I'm in West London. near to Kempton Park. in fact. come and see it. or if that's impossible. ask me questions or get me to photograph any specific bits you'd like to view.
Why not have a bike for the summer that's ready to ride and enjoy NOW for a change and not a skanky old grunter of a project. Life is short. so is the summer!
Thank you for looking and I hope you buy it. or better still. the Commando!
LAVERDA 180 JOTA 1979
LAVERDA 750SF 1974
Laverda Jota 120, very rare model, low miles, utterly original
laverda jota america 1200
1981 Laverda Mirage 1200
Laverda Classic Cafe Racer 1974 SF
laverda 1200 JOTA AMERICA
LAVERDA 180 JOTA 1979